Thursday, March 13, 2008

Recovery day art shot / Awareness test

Recovery days are always nice. Why? Well, normally I'm cruising along
pretty quickly, and not paying attention (too much) to the beauty around
me. It's kind of a blur.


But recovery days are different. I'm going slow enough on recovery days
that my mind wanders and my eyes wander to all the things on my normal
routes that I would miss otherwise.


Like this statue in a park in Piedmont on my way home. Oakland parks
usually don't have public art in them, but I live right next to Piedmont
so I go through it. I've passed by this park a hundred times but never
paid attention to the statue. So there you go, your art moment.


Elsewhere on the ride, a walker strolled by and when the person passed
some litter on the side of the road, get this, they bent down, picked it
up, carried it to a waste basket and threw it away. Holy cow! I thanked
the person (I always say thanks when I see someone do this) and they
smiled. So there's thing #73 that I'll say thanks for - some random
gratitude for ya. I see this about once a week believe it or not, and do
whatever I can to encourage it (including trying to pick up one piece of
trash per ride - try it, I dare you)


In other news, Morgan Fletcher sent this in - I thought it was apropos
given all the transportation conflict in the area recently:

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/

-Mike

No comments: